Okay. Here's the deal. I know the title of these 31 days of recipes includes the word "healthy." But...I'm changing things up just for today because my kids have been BEGGING for this recipe. The conversation literally went like this.
Child: "Remember when we used to each those yummy enchiladas - before we started eating all healthy?"
My mind went to those enchilada days quickly and my mouth began to water. Yep - my son was right. Those are delicious. I wondered if I could tweak the recipe a bit to make it even slightly healthier. I substituted plain greek yogurt for the sour cream, used low carb tortillas, and still had a delicious version of our former favorite meal.
Will we eat this recipe once a week? It's easy enough I'd love to, but this cheese loaded recipe will only make the cut once in a while.
This recipe is a "partial freeze" recipe. We'll talk about prepping the actual enchilada part of the recipe ahead of time and freezing but the sauce is still made the day you bake it. Don't let that fool you. It's SUPER EASY. This used to always be my quick go-to recipe when last minute guests were coming for dinner.
Here it goes... Day 15 of 31 Days of Healthy Freezer Meals - with a little added kid friendly fat for a special night! :)
10 Tortillas (I love the low-carb version)
2 cups shredded cheese (We're getting lazy with the chicken but not with the cheese. Shredding your own is a must!)
3 T. butter
3 T. flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup plain greek yogurt
1 4 oz. can of green chilis (This will not make your recipe hot. Just adds great flavor!)
1. Combine shredded chicken and cheese in a large bowl.
2. Fill 10 tortillas with chicken and cheese mixture, place rolled tortillas in a 9x13 metal baking dish or disposable baking tin.
1. Thaw frozen enchiladas.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan, stir in flour, and cook for 1 minute.
3. Slowly add the chicken broth and cook until thick and bubbly.
4. Remove from heat and add the greek yogurt and green chilis.
5. Pour over tortillas and top with desired amount of shredded cheese.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
Garnish with salsa, cilantro, green onions, whatever you want!